Wednesday, January 25, 2017

FALCONS NAME ALTERNATE CAPTAINS

Fort Erie - 1/24/17

The Fort Erie Falcons have announced that Evgeni Malkin, Tyler Toffoli, and Paul Stastny will serve as alternate captains for the remainder of the season.  

The team will hold off naming an official captain until the start of next season.  

"We feel that this is a good group to lead the rest of the way through this season.  Given our decision to rebuild, we feel these three will be key members of the Falcons franchise for a number of years to come" said General Manager Matt Young at the press conference.  

In what has been a whirlwind season for Fort Erie, Young has managed to change the face of the franchise within just a few short months.  

Young has been quiet on the proceedings this season and has met with the media today for the first time since dispatching several key veterans in the rebuilding effort.  

"I didn't meet with you people because I knew there would be a lot of questions.  I wasn't done and I didn't want anything to be leaked with respect to the plan.  We are still not done but we are in a better place today to compete for the next decade than we were 3 short months ago" added the upstart Young.  

In what were surprising moves, Young dealt Pietrangelo, Carter, Datsyuk, and Perry for a host of picks and prospects that should be CCHL ready next season.  

In a more bizarre move, Young also dealt Kadri before re-acquiring the shift disturber just 23 days later.  

"It was a little bizarre," said Kadri. "It's a good thing that I hadn't sold my house.  I got to move back in.  It might be the easiest trade I'll ever go through."  

Young thought the move just made sense.  

"Not that I need to justify it to you, but I like Naz.  I think he could turn into one of the best third centers in the league behind Geno and Dylan (Strome)" quipped Young.  

While the team is clearly building for the future, Malkin believes the team can make the playoffs this season.  

"We are only three points out.  JVR is back in another game.  We have a tradition of winning in this organization and have made the playoffs five straight years.  I'm new here but I believe that this group can make the playoffs" said Geno with the "A".  

While the team has three first round picks for this summer's draft, it remains to be seen whether or not they'll all be used by the Falcons.  

"I'll do whatever it takes to compete with Hamilton, Siberia, and Wisborg for the next decade.  I'll examine all opportunities for those picks and decide what we do closer to the draft.  We are definitely looking for a defenceman, that's for sure" concluded Young. 

It should be an interesting conclusion to the season and off-season in Fort Erie as the team continues its aggressive rebuild.  


No comments:

Post a Comment