Sunday, January 17, 2021

20 Thoughts That Are Really Five Thoughts by the CCHL Commissioner

 Hey everyone,

Welcome back to another edition of your favorite CCHL column by the Commissioner and well, really, the only one by the Commish!  

Alright, let's get right to the heart of the matter already as I'm not paid by the letter here.  

1)  I'm starting to give some thought to our annual offseason free-agent bonanza and draft periods.  While I haven't discussed anything with the executive committee yet, I lean towards keeping our free-agent period in May or early June and moving our draft until the day after the NHL draft has been completed.  

While we won't have a disk for free agency, this league has rarely done free agency when we've had a disk in hand.  Did it ever happen for APBA?  It's happened for this league but with the Showtime rating set, they have a section on a website where we can view likely ratings at that point in time for the upcoming season.  In order to get that significant task done, I think we try to stay on schedule for late May/early June.  

The entry draft I feel different about.  For 2020 we didn't wait on the NHL to do their draft as we had no clue when it was and I did not want to start the new season without.  This year we have certainty that this will happen in July so I think it's best we wait until then.  When you factor in that so many of these kids haven't really been playing, it's absolutely best in my eyes to wait.  

If anyone has any reasons why this should be different I'd definitely love to hear them discuss with the executive committee.  

2) Lineups are interesting this year as we are trending to have an all-time high in the number received for the season.  I'm still getting the same via email as I did the simulator and the change in the process really has not amounted to more than two extra minutes (thankfully) each day due to a shortcut I found I could take.  

Having said that, there are four or five teams I have significant concerns about for lineups.  We have four teams above seven in lineup violations with one already having forfeited all bonus money this season.  We also have six teams with six or more lineup violations. 

After this, it drops substantially with most teams being at zero or one.  

I cannot help but insist to those that don't send lineups regularly that they need to use the copy all for their rosters and lines button to cover them for more than just the next game.  I know I've said this a lot but I do think that some of this could be avoided.  Having said that, for two teams I think I've received one lineup combined in the last month and one has a streak of zero valid lines for 2021.  Not ideal.  

3)  Injuries have been an interesting thing this season.  Fort Erie finally had their full lineup together for the first time and Wisborg is experiencing life without Shea Weber for over a month.  Injuries at the wrong time could really make an impact that an organization is not banking on and this year it seems to be more impactful than our other two Simon T seasons.  

4)  The trade deadline is after games on day 111.  That's just 19 days away from now so while most have done their work really it seems, there are still 19 days to make that big move to put a team over the top.  

5)  The introduction of slack this year has been good in my opinion.  In saying that, it definitely appears that a lot of those active teams on the transaction sheet are certainly using it well for trade activity in the rooms.  The issue is that those not signed up are missing out on trading and league activity, but are also amongst the lowest in terms of league participation.  I recognize everyone has different levels of time to give the CCHL but I highly recommend joining us on slack as it has really helped keep our inboxes cleaner from trade block emails.  If you need an invite, let me know (one was sent previously).  

That's all for this spine-tingling rendition of 20 thoughts that are really five.  I hope 2021 is treating you well and that soon the virus will be a thing of our past.  


No comments:

Post a Comment