Sunday, September 13, 2026

Thoughts from the Commissioner's Desk

 Another offseason has passed us by, and we are on the cusp of yet another CCHL hockey season.  Oh, where does the time go?  

It's been an off-season of change in the CCHL, with a lot of new features added to the website this season. I'm really excited about the goalie usage tracker, CCHL Corsi, Award frontrunners, and who doesn't love knowing what happened on this day in the CCHL?  

There's also CCHL radio for those that want to listen to the results in their car on the way to the office or while they work.  I'm not sure that there is another league out there doing what we are doing, and I'm proud of our advancements this summer.  

In all seriousness, I think that these extra tools give those who choose to utilize them more information to examine their teams and evaluate what's working and what's not working regularly.  There can also be zero excuses at this point for goalie overuse, as well, seeing as it's running live after every game now. 

Despite all of these added features, I'd say this offseason was also amongst one of our worst for our General Managers in terms of completing milestones.  

What do I mean by that?  It means submitting position adds, rookie contracts/M designations, and the waiver draft.  

While I'll never understand not wanting to acquire free prospects by submitting a list, I respect that not everyone wants to participate, as it is voluntary.  Position adds in a similar fashion, as I don't understand why a team wouldn't want to have a versatile lineup, but I respect the time it takes.  

The one I struggle most with is the rookie contract and M designation submissions.  We had a record number (two) teams not submit this year and another two sets that were not remotely close to providing the information required.  It's a tough blow for bonus money, and I'm guessing that those parties aren't likely reading this blog either.  The weird part for me is that this information is out there on the website and can be retrieved via email.  If one isn't sure, why not ask for an example of how to submit it?  I'm not trying to be critical but rather want to understand where the disconnect is to fix it going forward.  

That's enough negativity for now.  

One thing that will be worked on in the next while is our own CCHL Draft site since onlinedraft decided to kill everyone's logins and our league history on it.  

While I ventured down this road almost a year ago using AI, it was a monumental task to try to get done, but I believe with the advancements in AI (they better not destroy humans!), this task is much easier.  I've got a fully packaged draft site already built to do what onlinedraft.com could do with some added features.  Hey, if I'm building it, I might as well improve it too!  

I'll be working on that over the next few weeks and will be looking for a couple of people to help beta test it with me.  If you're interested, shoot me an email or message on Slack (or however you contact me).  

I think that's it for now!  It's preseason week followed up by the return of an 84-game CCHL season.  Good luck to everyone this season.  

Game on!  

-The Commish




No comments:

Post a Comment