Sunday, April 4, 2021

Fort Erie Dressing Room Cleanout day

 

With an abrupt end of the season, the Fort Erie Falcons found themselves in a suddenly unusual position of packing up their dressing room stalls much earlier than normal. 

“It absolutely sucks” quipped Patrick Kane on cleanout day.  “I came here because I wanted to win a championship and we fell short.  The good news is I know with this organization, we’ll be back ready to go next year.” 

That’s the one thing about the Falcons, they never really seem to take a year off to rebuild whatsoever.  There is a strong pipeline of upcoming stars such as Jamie Drysdale, Phil Tomasino and Quinton Byfield. 

There are others coming as well, and we have not even begun to mention the young players on the roster that have yet to find a permanent home in the lineup. 

How will Dylan Strome, Nic Hague, and Alex DeBrincat all fit in here next year?  Will Vince Dunn make the leap into full-time status in the CCHL in Fort Erie after being re-acquired? 

Blake Wheeler can definitely see the writing on the wall in Fort Erie.  

"I expect to move on.  There is so much young talent coming in and my agent says there will likely be a big market for my game, so it's impossible to see myself back in this uniform next year.  I'd like to be as I think we have unfinished business, but the reality is that I don't see the minutes here with Mitch and Kaner ahead of me on the right side." 

One thing has to be certain and that’s that GM Matt Young will be looking for some goaltending help with Braden Holtby becoming a free agent this off-season.  Young has said Blackwood and Nedeljkovic will be the goaltenders next year, but it’s hard to believe the veteran General Manager would be comfortable going with such an inexperienced tandem.  The word around the league is that the team would like to bring in a veteran goaltender to step-in should the young goalies hit a speed bump in the ultra-competitive CCHL. 

One thing is certain, the Falcons will be competitive again in 2021-22.

No comments:

Post a Comment