Saturday, December 14, 2019

CCHL: Thoughts on the SIMON simulator...(Part Three) Weaknesses

Part Three: Simon's weaknesses:

First, let me say what I call a weakness may in fact NOT be a weakness, but an aspect of the game I haven't fully grasped yet.

The scheduler leaves a lot to be desired. Matt Young and I tweaked the schedule as much as we were allowed when we set up the season, but teams still (despite our explicit command to NOT allow this) play three days in a row. Also, matchups are a bit odd as I experienced first-hand when Parry Sound and the Musicman played against each other three days in a row.

Archiving the season is cumbersome and the results are spotty and unattractive, to say the least.

The power ranking report - with no explanation of anywhere in the manual - is pretty useless.

Illegal lineups due to fatigued players remain an issue for many several GM's. Simon is unforgiving in how it handles this issue. As a Commish, I actually like it because it punishes GM's who don't stay on top of their lineups on a daily basis. As a GM, I feel their pain as real life doesn't allow that all the time. I think over time, we'll continue to improve as a group on this.

This season seems to make more sense to me as I survey the league as we head toward the 1/2 way point of our season. Moreso this season than last, the better teams are playing like that and the weaker ones are lower in the standings.

Simon is superior to APBA in almost every way, and we'll just get better the longer we use it for our league.

No comments:

Post a Comment