Saturday, December 28, 2019

State of the Loons; What the hell is going on in Capeside?

Capeside went big in free agency, then did a fire sale, and now are trying to load up again. The other gm's heads must be spinning.

Well after last year's success I figured I might as well try and do it again. The Loons started off well but I realized I built a lousy team. Building through the UFA is a lousy way to build a team I realized. It may be fun to enter our secret bids, and wait and see if you win-  but you end up with old players that are paid way too much fake CCHL money. Before you know it, you are paying a 34 year old $8 million and watching your revenue take a nose dive, even if you are winning games.

So I said screw it and held a fire sale. The 2020 draft is great right? Let's draft some guys and make trips to  Umass and to Boston for the Beanpot to watch future Loons - that will be fun right? So we did that.

Well, then email after email started coming out that other CCHL teams are selling and looking to do the same thing. Teams are running out of money or just wanting to start over. I looked at the league and it seemed like 5 teams are going for it and the other 17 are rebuilding. The more I read on this year's draft the less I liked it - article after article hinted how the top of the draft is elite and the rest is just eh. And our great top prospects like Wahlstrom and Kupari were playing like duds. So ... If no one else wants to make the playoffs we might as well.

So welcome to Capeside Panarin, Kessel, Pamieri, de Haan and Pesce. Welcome back Krejci, Carlo, JVR, and Pageau. Hello again to our $100 million payroll. Ugh. But hey - we can still make those trips and watch Zegras, Jones, Boldy, Thrun and Turcotte.

When it comes down to it...



1 comment: