Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Hocking Hills Prospect Camp - Part Two


***Hocking Hills Prospect Camp - Part Two***

10/28/2017: First official on-ice session. (Testing, skills competency and one on one interviews.)

9:00am: 20 of the invitees are on the ice, full gear and going through skating drills run by former NHL defenseman Brad Werenka.

Perhaps it's early, but generally speaking, I don't usually see so-called "finest group ever assembled" stumble and wipe out during basic skating drills. One skater named "BillyJo Bumpkin" a large defenseman with one eyebrow fell three times trying to execute a basic crossover skating skill. Another, "Roger Dodger" argued with Werenka that with his particular game, he wouldn't ever "need" to skate backward, he, in fact, bragged about never wasting his time to learn how to skate backward "Backwards??? Pfft! If you're skating backwards, you're doing it wrong..." said Dodger.

The most interesting player by far was Kid Wock, who fancied himself a cross between an American founding father and a Shaolin monk. I never saw a player with a powdered wig under his helmet, but it looked ok on Wock. I noticed in his biography he has so far in his career refused to play anywhere but the United States. "Hockey is a 100% American game, and that's where it should be played." he said.

Wock was clearly the fastest skater by far of the entire group. On the other hand, the only means of stopping Wock had perfected was slamming into the boards. I made a note that we'd need to provide additional protective equipment if we ever drafted him. Not a big deal.

11:30am: After a break, the one on one interviews began and we sat down with the players to try and get to know them.

"Jobie Chumberlain" felt his biggest accomplishment thus far in his amateur career had been his success at, and I quote, "I learned how to stop farting on the bench. It was the hardest thing I've ever done, but I'm a team-first guy, so I made the sacrifice I needed to for the guys."

I asked "Dick Ricketts" what his strongest attribute in terms of hockey was and he explained, "I've perfected a grip for holding my stick that is unable to be defeated. I have advanced carpel tunnel issues in both wrists and I used to keep dropping my stick every few minutes, because my hands would become numb. But with the special duct-tape we found at the local Tractor Supply Store in Pikestown a few months ago.Now, that never happens anymore." I asked him how was his carpel tunnel condition? "It's frankly pretty bad.

"Maurice Walker" was asked to describe what NHL player did he think he modeled his career after. "Oh, that's easy. This guy had such a mastery over his skills, it was incredible. He had so many different ways he could beat you. You never knew whay he would throw at you next. And NOONE took better care of himself physically, either. Yes, I'll think I'll remind people of Roger Clemens once they see my play in the NHL."

2:00pm: After lunch we met briefly with Rosetti again and we exressed our surprise that we'd not seen a single other fellow CCHL General Manager."Oh, they're all here, they staying at a different hotel than you are. We knew the Musicmen are the reiging champions of the CCHL, so we gave you the special accomodations for your stay here." said Rosetti.

But why haven't I seen anyone here at the rink? Matt Young, Eugene Yip, Donpaulo Canosa, Chris Kash? These are guys I usually visit with all the time. I tried texting them, but there's no phone service or internet service here in town.

"Oh yes, they're are all here, and Mr. Young told me specifically, "Out of respect for the champ, we've decided to try to go about our business here as quietly as possible. We already know all about these kids and am sure Corfield will be enchanted with several of them."

At this point, it dawned on me that things may not be as they were represented in the brouchure for the prospects camp.

Part Three comes tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment