Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Dayton Falls to Lakers, 6-2...


Derek Stepan of the Lakers set up four goals and netminder Cam Talbot stopped 34 of 26 shots as the Lakers beat the Musicmen 6-2 at the Dartmouth Sportsplex last night.

Despite outshooting the Lakers 36-22 over all, the Musicmen couldn't solve the sharp goaltending of Talbot nor could they stay out of the penalty box. Giving the hosts five power plays, the Lakers scored on three of them.

"Those penalties probably decided the game," said GM Bill Corfield in his post game press conference. "Larkin's a young kid - he's going to get caught out of position and he'll improve in time. A veteran defenseman should know better."

Corfield was likely referring to 34-year-old blueliner Fedor Tyutin, who has been whistled three times this season for minor penalties. "I don't think my legs are where I need them to be just yet. I thought I felt good during training camp and the pre-season games. Frankly, it may be the work load the coach is expecting of me. Before the trades, I was averaging about 8 to 10 minutes a game, when I played. Now, everything's different of course and I'm doing my best. I played 20 minutes tonight after Matty went out early in the game. Beauchemin played over 30 minutes tonight and he's older than I am - I don't know how he did it. He's a pro, that's for sure..."

Matt Irwin played 3 shifts in the game and then pulled himself from the lineup after seemingly spraining his right knee after colliding with Marc Methot during warm-ups. "It was a freak thing, Marc and I just ran into each other out there near the end of the warm-ups and I felt something pop in my left knee. Doc says I'll need about a week to be back to normal."

Center Sean Monahan continued his productive early season play as he set up both Musicmen goals in a 12 minute stretch in the second period.

"Mac made a great play to beat their winger by the point and once he slid me the puck, Jake was wide open for the tap-in. Vanek's goal was pretty, he fooled Kulikov on the outside and then walked right in on Talbot and beat him too. Tom's been around awhile - he can make you look silly if you're not careful..." said Monahan.

Three Stars: 

1st- Stepan
2nd-Talbot
3rd- Hall

News & Notes: 

Corfield was unsure if he would sign a free agent defenseman to help get through Irwin's injury. "We're looking into our options. We may reach out to a free agent or we may see if there's a blueliner who's available from somebody else. Not sure right now..."

Jonathon Drouin was a healthy scratch last night but has been told he will play Saturday night when the Musicmen have their home opener. Dylan Larkin is expected to watch from the press box that night.

Up Next:

Dayton returns home for their home opener against the Parry Sound Orrsmen this Saturday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment