Friday, September 8, 2017

Matt Tennyson Joins Dayton

Matt Tennyson - Dayton's newest defenseman

Matt Tennyson was disappointed earlier this week at being placed on waivers by the Victoria Ronin.

"Look, I was drafted back in 2012. Traded a few times. Been owned by Thunder Bay, Murfreesboro, Springfield, Dayton, Victoria. It's 2015. I haven't exactly made my mark yet. I thought maybe I'd spend the season on the Free Agent list and not play. Which would suck." said Tennyson.

What the 27-year-old defenseman didn't anticipate was being claimed by the Dayton Musicmen.

"No, I didn't see that coming. I know Dayton is rebuilding and they've loaded up on high end forwards. Their young defensive prospects are a year or so away, so right now, they have some older guys and a couple guys like me, but who are a little more established than me."

Dayton has seven defensemen under contract, but all except Mark Stuart are on a one year contract.

"We expect to focus on defenseman and goaltenders in the 2018 CCHL Entry Draft," said Musicmen GM Bill Corfield. "Chabot and Sanheim may spend some time in the NHL this coming season. Dante Fabbro has a few more years at Boston University. Erik Gustafsson may see some time with the Hawks this season. We project to get one of the best dmen in the next draft. Possibly two, and then we'll assess where we stand at that point."

Corfield cited the current need on the Dayton blueline, and the claiming of Tennyson as a strategic move for this season, but also one that might pay off down the road.

"Most of our guys are pretty prone to injuries and we felt seven guys weren't going to be enough. Matt was appealing because of his affordability, his age, and his relative usefulness. He has his own injury issues of course, but it's another option for us. Sure, we're rebuilding - but we'd like to be competitive too."

Tennyson was happy to return to Ohio and was eager to get to meet his new team mates. "I think there's an opportunity to play in Dayton this season. I'll work hard and see what happens. I appreciate them giving me this chance."

Tennyson is expected to play tomorrow night when the Musicmen play the Orrsmen in their 2017-18 home opener at the Soundstage.

No comments:

Post a Comment