Saturday, September 9, 2017

Musicmen edge Orrsmen, 4-2 in Home Opener...

Before a capacity crowd of 18,500, the CCHL Champion Dayton Musicmen opened their 17-18 home schedule with a 4-3 victory over the visiting Parry Sound Orrsmen.

Nate MacKinnon led the Dayton offense with his first two goals of the season. Sean Monahan added a goal and an assist and Dylan Larkin also scored.

"It was a pretty solid performance for us." said MacKinnon. "A lot of us younger guys seemed to have some space tonight. I think our speed gave Parry Sound some problems."

Dayton outshot the Orrsmen 34-32 and Musicmen netminder Brian Elliot earned his second win of the new year by stopping 29 of 32 shots.

"Every game I play seems to get me a little closer to where I need to be for this team. I know I had a brutal opened against the Falcons, but this was my fourth start in a row and I definitely feel better now than I did that first game." Fort Erie blasted the Musicmen 9-1 in the season opener.

Dylan Larkin gave the 'Men an early lead when he beat Parry Sound netminder Mike Condon, with Barkov in the box for a minor infraction, for a short handed goal. "Fedor saw me get behind their defense when he got the puck deep in our end. I don't know if they were caught trying to change their dmen or what, but his pass was perfect - I didn't have to break my stride at all. I had plenty of speed and their goalie bit hard on my first deke and then I just slid the puck into the net behind him."

Larkin's goal was Dayton's first short handed goal of the season.

Late in the first, Nate MacKinnon tipped in a wrist shot from Marc Methot to up their lead to 2-0.

Jack Eichel scored the Orrsmen's first goal of the game with just four seconds left in the opening period.

After a scoreless second period, Monahan scored Dayton's second short handed goal of the game, which was followed by Parry Sounds second tally of the game when Brett Connolly beat Elliot with a backhand shot over his left shoulder.  "Connolly's a skilled player and his backhand was something. I know I didn't give him much to shoot at, but he found that tiny sliver I did give him. Sweet goal..." said Elliot.

MacKinnon then scored his second goal of the game and the season on a deflection of a snap shot by Monahan at the 8:37 mark of the third, to give Dayton a 4-2 lead.

Sam Bennett then scored a freak goal after his dump-in from center ice took a crazy bounce off of the glass to the left of Brian Elliot. The puck ricocheted off the glass and took one quick bounce and then slid into the Musicmen's net before Elliot could get back to the crease and stop it.

"That kind of thing happens every now and then," said Elliot. "Hopefully that the last one of those for this season.

Dayton held on for the last 40 seconds of the regulation to win their first home game of the season.

The Musicmen improved to 2-2-0 on the season. Parry Sound fell to 1-3-0.

Three Stars: 

1st- MacKinnon
2nd-Monahan
3rd- Tyutin

Up next...

Dayton will host the winless Portland Owls on Monday evening at 7:00pm...

No comments:

Post a Comment