Thursday, November 16, 2017

Falcons Are Flying High!

After starting the season 10-10-2 in their first 22 contests, the Fort Erie Falcons continue to be one of the hottest teams in the CCHL.

The struggling Long Island Express came to Fort Erie on Wednesday night looking to break out of a season-long slump but were unable to do so, dropping the contest 7-2 to the home squad.

Despite giving up five power play opportunities to Long Island, Fort Erie still managed to launch 58 shots towards Long Island goaltender Henrik Lundqvist.

Following the game, the veteran goaltender was pretty impressed with the Falcons' offence.

"We haven't played them yet and tonight we found out that they are very good.  It was one of the busier nights I've had this year.  They were good.  Hopefully we'll be better the next time we play them" said an exhausted Lundqvist.

It was once again a game of offence by committee for Fort Erie, as they had six different goal scorers in the victory.  Dougie Hamilton led the way with a goal and two assists while the newly acquired Andrej Sekera had his first two goals as a member of the Falcons.

The goals were also Sekera's first two goals of the season and the veteran defenceman was named the Happy Jack's Chinese Food First star of the game for his efforts.


The reward for Sekera's two goals?  A lunch at this fine dining establishment...
"It's been very good here since I arrived.  I feel like I fit in really well and it's nice to get the goals to help my new team.  I didn't score before tonight, so it feels good.  I also got a coupon for a free lunch at Happy Jack's for being the first star so I guess I know where I will go for lunch tomorrow" quipped Sekera following the game.

Following the game, the team did not wish to comment on the status of goaltender Curtis McElhinney who was injured in that vicious Brendan Gallagher elbow drop the previous night.

"Sorry folks, I don't have an update on Curtis yet.  He's obviously sore but I'm not sure when he'll be back in the lineup.  The league is reviewing the incident and we trust that they will throw the book at Gallagher.  If not, we'll throw the Dorsett at him when we get to Springfield for the rematch" stated GM Matt Young.

Next up for the Falcons is a visit from the Rejkjavik Puffin on Friday night.  The Puffin have a high octane attack and it will be the first time that Claude Giroux and Sekera faceoff against their old team when they meet Friday night.

It's a game Claude Giroux is personally looking forward to on the schedule.

"It should be a fun game.  The Puffin are a good team.  I had fun there but I'm very happy to be back in Fort Erie.  I'm just glad we don't have to play the Puffin regularly" said Giroux of the game Friday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment